Supporting practical science, D&T and art in schools and colleges
CLEAPSS membership enables employers to discharge their responsibilities under the Health & Safety at Work Act and subsequent regulations. These require employers to protect their employees by, for example, providing safe working conditions, information, training for health & safety, & (model) risk assessments for activities (required under a range of regulations, including COSHH).
CLEAPSS advice and documentation is recognised by the Health & Safety Executive & the Department for Education as the definitive basis for safe practice in practical work in schools & colleges.
The Local Authority currently purchases, on a financial year basis, the following blanket licence for CLEAPPS which applies across all schools and academies. Academies will be invoiced on a 5/12 and 7/12 basis based on numbers on roll (as of October School Census) and a small handling fee will be applied for the administration of the transaction. For any school converting to academy status within the financial year period, a charge will be applied in accordance with the conversion date.
Membership benefits include:
- CLEAPSS telephone and e mail helpline Access throughout the year (not just term time) to a team of dedicated subject experts for up to date advice and support;
- Termly newsletter for all Primary & Secondary schools which provides a range of information on practical work in science & technology & on current health & safety issues;
- CLEAPSS web site (please see the link under Useful Links) which makes advice & guidance for science, D&T and art & design, available to all relevant staff on demand. CLEAPSS is committed to regular review and updating of these resources so that they always offer members the most relevant advice.
- CLEAPSS You tube channel Short video clips showing teachers and technicians how to carry out practical activities in a way that works and is safe;
- Hazcards & Recipe sheets;
- Model Risk Assessments for Technology valued by D&T department staff;
- CPD courses Access to an extensive range of one day practical science & Health & Safety training courses at a discounted rate.
- Radiation protection legislation A school which has CLEAPSS membership can also subscribe to the CLEAPSS Radiation Protection Advisor (RPA) through a participating LA or organisation. This is a cost effective way for employers to meet their responsibilities under the Ionising Radiation Regulations (1999).
In the absence of CLEAPSS membership the employer, be it the governors or trustees, must consider how to fulfil its duties under the 1974 Health & Safety at Work Act and its subsequent regulations. CLEAPSS membership provides a one stop shop approach to satisfying the school's responsibilities in relation to the teaching of science, design and technology and art & design.
Only Somerset Local Authority Maintained Schools are automatically signed up to this membership as part of the LA's core entitlement. Any Academy is able to purchase this membership as a traded package via Somerset County Council and could benefit from the reduced membership rate.
Susan Wheatley Customer Account Manager Tel: 01823 356623 Email: SWheatley@somerset.gov.uk
Our Packages and Services